Dornan will be familiar to TV fans having starred as The Huntsman in Once Upon a Time and serial killer Paul Spector in BBC2's acclaimed drama The Fall. Now that Dornan is heading to the big screen as BDSM-loving business magnate Christian Grey, Digital Spy uncovers 10 things you need to know about the 31-year-old actor.
1. Jamie Dornan was born on May 1, 1982 in County Down, Northern Ireland to Lorna and James C Dornan. He went to school at Belfast's Methodist College, whose notable alumni include Chris Barrie of Red Dwarf fame and current Ireland rugby players Craig Gilroy and Paddy Jackson. He briefly attended Middlesbrough's Teesside University but dropped out to focus on his acting career.
2. Early in his career Dornan modelled for the likes of Armani and Calvin Klein. For the latter he worked with Kate Moss and oiled up with Eva Mendes for a racy underwear shoot. In an interview with Red earlier this year, Dornan said that he felt his shoots were more of a curse than a blessing when it came to launching an acting career in the UK. "There's a massive stigma attached to it," he said. "You couldn't possibly have had your photograph taken for a living and act."
3. His big-screen acting break came in 2006 with Sofia Coppola's divisive slice of frothy historical fiction Marie Antoinette. Dornan played the excellently-named Axel von Fersen, a Swedish general with whom Antoinette allegedly had an affair.
4. Dornan is also a musician, and played in the band Sons of Jim throughout his 20s. The group split up in 2008, but not before they were able to bag a support slot touring with KT Tunstall.
5. Dornan dated Keira Knightley for two years, just after the actress hit the big time with Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. The pair met in 2003 during a photo shoot in Manhattan. Dornan has since been quoted as saying that Knightley "broke his heart", although he has denied reports that he wrote a song about their break-up.
6. The siren call of US television reached Dornan in 2011, when he was cast in ABC's hit fairy tale series Once Upon A Time to play a modern-day counterpart of The Huntsman from Snow White. Not to be typecast as a goodie, he followed up this breakthrough with a starring role as a serial killer opposite Gillian Anderson in acclaimed BBC drama The Fall.
7. There's acting royalty in Dornan's family - he's the great nephew of feted British star Greer Garson. Garson earned seven Oscar nominations throughout her career, and won the 'Best Actress' gong in 1942 for World War II drama Mrs Miniver.
8. In addition to acting and music, Dornan is passionate about sports. He supports Manchester United and was a talented rugby player at school, playing as a fleet-footed winger who could run the 100m in 11.1 seconds. This sporting prowess was beneficial when he moved into modelling. "Because I used to play a lot of sport I've always been in decent enough shape," he said. "When I used to get asked to do a bit of body work before a photo shoot I'd lie and say, 'Yeah, I'm going to the gym.' I literally never did anything."
9. Dornan is active on social media through his Twitter feed JamieDornan1. Some of his tweeting highlights include his damning verdict on iOS 7, a plug for his dad's book and what alcoholic beverage tastes like "poo flavoured sand".
10. In April, Dornan married actress-turned-singer Amelia Warner, who performs under the name Slow Moving Millie. You'll almost certainly recognise her voice from that John Lewis Christmas advert, which saw her covering The Smiths' Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want. The couple are now expecting their first child.
Jamie Dornan - career in pictures: