1. Our 'Tina was born Christina María Aguilera in Staten Island, New York, to US Army sergeant Fausto Wagner Xavier Aguilera and Spanish teacher Shelly Loraine.
2. Christina aimed for the big time by entering early reality telly contest Star Search (RIP) as a pre-teen, singing old standard 'A Sunday Kind Of Love'. She came second, a decision they probably regret looking back! Grainy footage of 'Christine Aguilero' singing the same track on The Wake Up Show around the same time is available on YouTube!
3. Two years after being knocked back in 1991 for being too young, Chrissie famously featured on The Mickey Mouse Club alongside Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and Ryan Gosling. According to legend, her singing and performance style saw fellow Mouseketeers dub her "The Diva".
4. The excitement may have got to her when she fluffed the lyrics to 'The Star Spangled Banner' before Super Bowl XLV, but she's actually had plenty of practice, having warbled Francis Scott Key's words for the Pittsburgh Steelers (football), Penguins (hockey) and Pirates (Baseball) teams as an 11-year-old in 1992. She was reportedly the youngest person to sing that famous tune for a major sporting event at the time.
5. After a childhood that reads like a waiting room for superstardom, all the pieces fell into place at the end of the '90s. First, she recorded the Pop Version of Disney's Mulan song 'Reflection' in 1998. Then she blew that out the water with 1999 megasmash 'Genie In A Bottle'. As well as being absolutely brilliant it also led to Freelance Hellraiser's Aguilera/Strokes collision 'A Stroke of Genie-us', which helped repopularise the mashup. So, credit where it's due!
6. Despite those clean-cut beginnings, hanging out with Lil' Kim for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack clearly had an effect, and 2002 LP Stripped saw Christina become Xtina and embrace body art and tattoos. The ink's still there, of course, but in 2004 she reportedly removed all of the metal, apart from the ring in her right nipple! She reportedly claimed that she was "well past the piercing thing", but said of the remaining bit: "That one's for me." Blimey!
7. Regarding those trousers in the (absolutely filthy) 'Dirrty' video, Christina admitted: "I definitely stirred the pot a bit but I had fun." She added that she might try 'em on again "possibly when I'm 60, if I can still fit into them!". Meanwhile, director David 'Oooh... controversial!' LaChapelle later apologised when it was revealed some Thai script from a poster in the clip translated to "Young Underage Girls" and "Thailand's Sex Tourism". "I had absolutely no knowledge that this poster contained such offensive words, and I sincerely regret the insult," a contrite LaChapelle said.
8. Stripped's big weepie is 'Beautiful', and writer Linda Perry convinced Christi to keep her first, (allegedly tipsy) take of the vocals sung in her living room. "It had a very raw feeling, which I liked," Perry explained, "but Christina wanted it re-done to technical perfection. I said no and it took me seven months of arguments until she finally agreed." A fine decision, I'm sure you'll agree!
9. She's wanted to be a movie star for a long time, and last year Cher ("It takes an icon") and Christina ("To make a star") hooked up for dancey flick Burlesque. Because of her love of the pictures, perhaps, Xtina was once asked if she would be attending the Cannes Film Festival. "I hope so," she is reported to have happily responded. "Where's it being held this year?" Ooof!
10. In 2002, Christina posed in a swimming pool while (barely!) wearing a teeny-tiny white thong for Maxim magazine. Radio One DJ Scott Mills sourced the pants and "one sealed tub of Miss Aguilera pool water" from a not-kinky-in-the-slightest contact at the publication. Naturally, they ended up on eBay and raised a healthy wedge of $1,542.69. A note from the jockey read: "Daniel, enjoy drinking from the cup as much as I did, Scott Mills." Ewwwwwwww!