1. Chris Evans was born on June 13, 1981 in Boston, Massachusetts to artistic director mum Lisa and dentist dad Bob Evans.
2. Evans made his movie debut in 2000's The Newcomers, alongside other soon-to-be stars Kate Bosworth, Paul Dano, Jeff Fahey and Matt McCoy.
3. After that, Chris featured in Fox teen comedy-drama The Opposite Sex, whose weekly instalments had names like 'The Virgin Episode', 'The Drug Episode' and 'The Homosexual Episode'.
Watch a compilation of hilarious Chris Evans clips from The Opposite Sex below:
4. Before becoming an actor, Chris wanted to be a painter. "I just thought that was what I would do and it was what I always did," he explained. "I was a bit of an art snob. And then I did a play when I was 16 and I just loved it. And it combined with the fact that I loved movies -I think movies can strike a chord in a way that I don't think many things can."
5. Even before Captain America, Chris has quite a comics pedigree in the movies, having starred in two Fantastic Four films and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, but he wasn't really a big fan of the medium growing up. "I didn't know comic books at all, really. I was more into Ninja Turtles and He-Man," he revealed. However, he also said at the same time: "I used to run around with capes on, you know, not being anyone in particular, just being a superhero, pretending to fly. How can you not want to be a superhero?"
6. Despite being one of the few chaps to play two such superheroes in the movies, he hasn't got every role he's gone after. "I really wanted to be a part of Milk but I lost out to James Franco," he admits. "I guess if you've got to lose, he's the guy to lose to." Evans also apparently read for the lead part in Elizabethtown, but lost out to everyone's favourite Elf Orlando Bloom.
7. Chris's big breakthrough came as jock Jake Wyler in Not Another Teen Movie. Apparently, the film was initially titled Teen Movie, before being retitled NOT A Teen Movie, and finally getting the name we know and love.
Watch the infamous Banana Split scene from Not Another Teen Movie below:
8. He's not at David Beckham levels yet, but Chris has a clutch of tattoos which reference his friends and family. "Anyone who's had a tattoo knows once you get your first one, as you're walking out the door, you're planning the next," he said of his increasing amount of body art.
9. His dashing good looks and hot body have made him a Gay Spy favourite for some time, but he doesn't see himself as a sex symbol. Well, no wonder, with his mum helpfully labelling him a "big dork" for his love of Disney movies! "He still knows all the words to songs from The Little Mermaid," she cackled.
10. On that body... while in most comic book films the CGI is used to buff people up, in Captain America it's the opposite! "His shoulders, his chest - it's all him," producer Kevin Feige confirmed. "He has a comic-book physique." Evans argued with the filmmakers to stop them sticking his head on a skinny man's body for the early scenes though, wanting to have his own pecs graphically shrunk instead. "I wanted this to be my performance. This wasn't something I wanted to share," he explained.