The 65-year-old Australian television personality, who has undergone a number of operations after falling three metres from a ladder at his Richmond home before Christmas, is now breathing on his own and holding conversations with his family members.
Meldrum's brother Brian revealed that there are no plans to move the star from the intensive care unit at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital, while his manager Mark Klemens said that there is a long way to go before he is back to his normal self.
Klemens told The ABC: "Hopefully he will be removed from ICU at some stage. That will happen, we don't know when that will happen. So it is just a matter of rest and limited stimulation and nature hopefully will take its course."
Meldrum sustained a serious head injury, a broken collarbone, broken ribs and several fractured vertebrae in the December 15 accident. He has since had surgery a number of times, including an operation last week to repair damage to his spine.
Last week, Brian promised his brother's fans: "When significant changes occur, we will definitely be releasing that information. But at the same time... we're sort of going to work on the premise that no news is good news. And I think that is the way to approach it."
> Molly Meldrum wakes from coma for Christmas, says brother
> Molly Meldrum's brother wills star to survive