1. Jennifer was born Jennifer Shrader Lawrence in Louisville, Kentucky on August 15, 1990. She claims she grew up a tomboy, with her father owning a construction firm and her mother running a summer camp.
2. After deciding she wanted to be an actress at the age of 14, Jennifer dragged her mother to New York to audition for a collection of commercials and TV parts. While there, she managed to get an agent when a random guy asked to take her picture. In her words: "We probably should have realised how creepy that was."
3. Her first TV appearance was that same year in a promo for MTV's Super Sweet Sixteen where she plays a spoilt participant of the show with "hilarious consequences".
4. Not content with such high-brow work, Jennifer later appeared in independent film Winter's Bone, where she plays the 17-year-old daughter of a meth-cooking father in the poverty-stricken mountainous Ozarks. The Academy rewarded her harrowing and nuanced performance with a 'Best Actress' nomination in 2011. At the age of 20, she became the second youngest person ever to be nominated for the award.
5. It wasn't all glitz and glamour, though. In preparation for the role, she learnt how to shoot a rifle and field-dress a squirrel.
6. Jennifer also auditioned for the role of Bella Swan in Twilight but lost out to Kristen Stewart. Imagine how different the films would have been had she succeeded.
7. She achieved mainstream fame with her portrayal of a young Mystique in X-Men: First Class. Playing the blue-skinned mutant meant that Jennifer was forced to undergo seven hours of makeup every day, mainly while standing up.
8. Jennifer is currently dating About a Boy and Skins star Nicholas Hoult, who played fellow blue mutant Beast in the movie.
9. Jennifer fought off stiff competition to get the role of Katniss in The Hunger Games including Emma Roberts, Abigail Breslin, Chloë Moretz, Emily Browning, Hailee Steinfeld and Kaya Scodelario. However, this didn't stop her taking three days to deliberate over taking the job. On the one hand, she was a large fan of the books and on the other, she was afraid that taking on a part in such a potentially huge franchise could change her career for the worse.
10. And finally, Jennifer Lawrence was ranked the 47th 'Most Desirable Woman' of 2012 by Ask Men. This places her between Amanda Seyfried and Penélope Cruz, which isn't bad at all.