Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
18

Soaps News

'Coronation Street' Simon Gregson pledges future to soap

By
Simon Gregson, Corrie

© WENN

Coronation Street star Simon Gregson has confirmed that he has no plans to move on from the soap.

The actor has played the role of Weatherfield's Steve McDonald since 1989 and continues to be at the centre of dramatic storylines on the cobbles.

Gregson told the Worksop Guardian: "I'm more than happy to spend the rest of my career in Coronation Street. I've pretty much grown up there, so I've known the guys who have started out as runners and gone on to produce.

"I know everybody there, so for me it's like going to school. My mate calls it kindergarten!"

Coronation Street fans will see a big moment for Steve next week as the day of his ill-fated wedding to Tracy Barlow (Kate Ford) arrives.

However, Gregson added: "He doesn't really love Tracy. He's doing it for all the right reasons - because of the children. Of course, she's had the horrible thing where she's lost the babies, and he feels as though he's got to stand by [her].

"He's deeply upset about losing the children - that's 80% of the reason why he's getting married, the other 20% being Amy. He just wants to get the wedding over and done with really, and get out!"

As fans already know, Steve's vengeful ex Becky (Katherine Kelly) ends up gatecrashing the ceremony to clear her name following Tracy's false allegations over her miscarriage.

Coronation Street continues tonight at 8.30pm on ITV1.

> Coronation Street fans should cheer for Becky, says Katherine Kelly
> Coronation Street Kate Ford: 'I don't feel sorry for Tracy'
> Read more Coronation Street spoilers and news

Watch a preview of Friday night's Coronation Street double bill in the video below:

Get the Inside Soap magazine on your iPhone or iPad

You May Like

Comments

Loading...