Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
1

Cult News

'Walking Dead' exec denies budget issues

By
Gale Ann Hurd

© PA Images / Albert L. Ortega

The Walking Dead's executive producer Gale Anne Hurd has dismissed rumors that the show has been affected by budget issues.

It was previously reported that the zombie drama's budget had been slashed by AMC, due to escalating costs on the cable channel's other show Mad Men.

"[If] you've seen the show, I don't think that you can say there's any change between last season and this [second] season," Hurd told New York Magazine. "Whenever you're starting up a show as difficult as this one... there are enormous start-up costs. Those were amortised over six episodes [last year]; now we have 13 episodes."

She continued: "It was much more expensive last year because of the start-up expenses, and because it's much more expensive to produce six shows on location than 13."

Hurd also denied that the firing of showrunner Frank Darabont had adversely affected production.

"We didn't have to shut down," she explained. "It's a group of incredible professionals. You put your head down, and you go back to work. It was really difficult emotionally, but you carry on."

She added that new showrunner Glen Mazzara "brings his expertise [and] his life experience to the show".

"Of course, there are going to be subtle changes, but it's a collaborative medium in which many people contribute," she said.

The Walking Dead returns to FX in the UK this Friday at 10pm, and continues on Sundays at 9/8c on AMC in the US.

> Walking Dead star: 'Show has not suffered from Frank Darabont exit'
> The Walking Dead: Ten teasers about 'Bloodletting'

Watch a trailer for The Walking Dead season two below:

You May Like

Comments

Loading...